PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

What is the purpose of nano spheres & nano tubes?

gordonjudd
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by gordonjudd »

That appears to be a marketing claim with little data support, there are so much things you can change at the same time that the comparison is likely flawed

Merlin,
From this [url=C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\Documents\Forro_NT99.pdf]source [/url] it appears that the modulus of nano-tube ropes is not all that big compared to modulus of modern graphite laminates.
In addition, efficient load bearing within the tubes themselves needs to be accomplished, since, for multi-walled nanotubes (MWNTs), experiments have indicated that only the outer graphitic shell can support stress when the tubes are dispersed in an epoxy matrix10, and for single wall nanotube (SWNT) bundles (also known as ropes), it has been demonstrated that shearing effects due to the weak intertube cohesion gives significantly reduced moduli compared to individual SWNTs6. The reduced bending modulus of these SWNT bundles is a function of their diameter. An individual tube has an elastic modulus of about 1 TPa, but this falls to around 100 GPa for bundles 15 to 20
nm in diameter.

That is much less than all the hype would have you believe.

Gordy
"Flyfishing: 200 years of tradition unencumbered by progress." Ralph Cutter
fluffbuff
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by fluffbuff »

The rods I have seen have been smaller spin rods where one demonstration virtually tied the tip in a granny knot

Then someone hung their full weight on one without even a creak in the blank
Everybody says I should dress more scant - I cant do this naked
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

The first company to apply a nano-sized particle to rod building used it in their marketing far more than the rods. As far as I could find out (and in this case I had it confirmed) the nano particles were in the paint/varnish on the blank.
To the best of my knowledge the addition of those particles achieved absolutely zero but allowed the marketing guys to tell tales (I hesitate to say 'tell lies') about the rods.

The current generation of rods using nano-sized additions to the resin started with Hardy. At their press launch they told us they intended to match the lightest rods on the market at that time - which were Orvis Helios - again confirmed.

Helios rods do not use a resin system with nano particles added. they use a different type of resin, which needs greater pressure during curing in autoclaves.

(Incidentally Century in this country use Autoclaves when making rods using conventional resin systems.)
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

I don't know if that is someone's idea of a joke, but you have to spell A i r f l o with spaces in order to prevent that "barstool" substitution.

Gordy
Due to an old and very bitter argument between members of this board and the owner of barstool (over laws of physics as it happens) he threatened legal action if the name of that company was taken in vain, or used normally on this site, hence it gets edited.
Casting Definitions

"Radio has no future."
Lord Kelvin
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

For me it devalues the credibility of the manufacturer when the marketing department hypes or as in some cases - invents - new technology that doesn't exist. I love innovation and originality but I don't like being treated like an idiot!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

Marketing without hype is vanishingly rare - as far as I can see it's extinct among larger manufacturers.

Hyperbole sort of defines marketing by the way...

... the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

That said, when marketing make factual claims or assertions which are simply unfounded I lose faith (and patience.)
Casting Definitions

"Radio has no future."
Lord Kelvin
fishingthefly
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by fishingthefly »

Magnus .... What are you feeding that fly, I'm sure it is growing! :D

Cheers
Mike
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I reckon it's a result of a couple of things,

1. Major manufacturers employ advertising agencies/consultants.
2. Lifetime guarantees means that no one buys the same rod again, and sales drop quickly after initial product launch. This means that rod ranges have to be reinvented every three to five years to maintain sales. How do you keep reinventing rods? Technological advances. And when there aren't any marketing invents some.

What an exciting market place :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
ennio
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ennio »

Paul Arden wrote:... no one buys the same rod again, and sales drop quickly after initial product launch. This means that rod ranges have to be reinvented every three to five years to maintain sales. How do you keep reinventing rods? Technological advances. And when there aren't any marketing invents some.

Paul, perhaps you should have brought your first rod to market after 6 months of R&D, rather than 18 months. Then you could have improved it through several iterations.
You have already said it's the best ... a sales and marketing disaster! :???:
Hal Jordan
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Hal Jordan »

Marketing avoids inventing things with a passion. Marketing prefers to misrepresent what the engineers tell them - that way if something backfires they can blame the engineers.

A group from engineering and a group from marketing at a company decided to attend a conference together. They all needed to take a train to their destination. Each of the marketing people bought a ticket. All of the engineers got together and bought one ticket.

The marketing people were convinced that the engineers would get thrown off the train. When the conductor came arround, all the engineers piled into the bathroom. The conductor knocked on the door asking for tickets, and they slid the one ticket out under the door, and the conductor continued on his way. On the way home, the marketing people figured they would use the same routine and purchased one ticket.

The engineers did not purchase any tickets. The marketing people were again stunned. On the train, one of the engineers said here comes the conductor, and the marketing people quickly piled into the bathroom. One of the engineers walked up, knocked on the door, and announced he was the conductor, and the marketing group slid their ticket out under the door.
crunch
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by crunch »

Magnus wrote:The current generation of rods using nano-sized additions to the resin started with Hardy. At their press launch they told us they intended to match the lightest rods on the market at that time - which were Orvis Helios - again confirmed.

Helios rods do not use a resin system with nano particles added. they use a different type of resin, which needs greater pressure during curing in autoclaves.

Zeniths are much heavier than Helioses. Most likely much stronger too. That advertised 30% weight reduction was closer to 0 when compared to Angels and rods are heavier than on datasheet.

Perhaps new Helios2 are stronger as they are bit heavier.
VGB
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by VGB »

This is as close to an informative link as I could find:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps....owerlux

I am guessing that the increased density and possibly more reliable material allows the rod designers to reduce the design safety factors and shave weight in their reserve.
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

Wow! Fishing rods are the first mentioned application! I'm astonished. I assumed it would be fighter aircraft or rockets or something.

Never heard of Great Longview or J S Company, though. Hardy and Loomis don't even get a mention, let alone St Croix. I thought I knew something about fishing gear :???: