PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

shooting head experts - help please

Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

shooting head experts - help please

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi All
Today Ive started my trening and adventure with 27g shooting head,the thing that is used in WC in seatrout distance. The most I was afraid off, was handling thin running line while hauling, but it was fine.
-Tackle- Echo 3 S 9' #8 (I heard it should be longer)
-Heads:
1) Barrio GT125 WF 7, cut it at 73' what results 24g
2) Barrio GT125 WF 8, cut it at 66', what results 27g
-Running line- red amjssia 20lb
All is fine,fals cast loops are nice ( still trying to find the proper lenght of overhang ), but no dramas with handling thin runing line.
Now -delivery cast DISASTER, no matter what we tried (slowing down casting stroke, opening loops,aiming higher,late rotation,late shooting), and it all piled,piled,and piled.
We tried different pick ups too, (half head in,head out) , but it piled, piled,and piled, all on 100-105 feet (we had 140' out of the reel)
The only straight lay out on my delivery cast was when I steped on the running line :p
Again, it was a first time for me with such an outfit,and Iknow that there is a lot of practice in front of me,but is there any magior key point you can give me to improve my delivery cast?
P.s
nice thing happend when I took my #5, after few casts with the big gun. Good distance,without effort.

Cheers
mike
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Mike,

I like it when there is thicker shooting line for hauling, knotted to thinner running line for shooting. This gives me a knot to grab which is placed for the correct amount of overhang. I haven't experimented with the sea-trout distance set-up however and rely on borrowing gear immediately before the event. Obviously this isn't the best option!

And yes, normally I think you are better off casting to the reel to ensure turnover. Once you've hit the reel then there is no point in repeating the cast with the same length of line. Pull a yard off and try to hit the reel. Occasionally the line will unroll without hitting the reel but it's not very reliable. This way if you do it right in competition your last few casts won't turn over but three or four casts before this you'll have hit your longest cast. I'd recommend marking the shooting line at a reasonably long distance that you know you can turn over and start from there.

That's how I would do it anyway!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Hi mate
might be an idea, with the pice of line for hauling,from another hand, i hate the sound of to many knots in the rings.

So you're saying once u hit the reel,without nice turn over,to not repeat the cast?
We were actualy with the same line lenght, trying to make it land straight( the thinking behind it was, "first learn to cast shorter distance,b4 u go for the horizon").
Interesting theory of yours-will give it to go?

Ive red, that lenght of head works diferently for diferent people. Is there a most popular lenght of 27g head, that I can try, b4 cutting to many lines, and find what work best for me?
Cheers
mike
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Why would you repeat the same cast again in competition? For practise of course!
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

A ok,but at the momment we talk practice only.
cheers
mike
flyfisher666
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by flyfisher666 »

Hi Mike!

Those are some loong heads...
Personally I stay between 50-60 ft heads. At the short end when I have a good tailwind.

Line release timing and elevation are the things I work most with when practising seatrout distance.

Elevation is tricky. To high and one gets a pile, to low and one don't get all the distance one could have got - and possibly a pile there to...
The tricky part is that "optimal" elevation seems to change quite a bit with conditions (wind, temp, humidity).

//Joakim
Tips when flyfishing:
1. Poop at home.
2. During a feeding frenzy, don't eat!
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Thanks Joakim
I thought they are too long,but as first timer I was looking at the weight,tryi.g to reach 27g.
The 73' one is 24g, if I would reach 27g, it is like haveing almost full DT attached to running line. Plus 73' +9'(rod lenght)+around 10' overhang=91' of line to false cast-that is a lot for the first time with shooting head.
The 66'/27g, was kindish better,but still crap delivery.
I think cutting 9 and10 line will give me 27g at 55-60' lenght.

Is it better to make the head from DT or WF? I think the turnover might depends on the head /line profile?

I will try to exercise on the elevation and late shoot.
thanks again
mike
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Ok
,so I cut them this morning again. I brought both previous lenghts (73' ,66') both to 60' of lenght.
Weight WF7=22g
Weight WF8=26g
Will see if this changes the results, if not I might cut them to 55' and go down 1g on the weight.
Will keep yiu posted.
Cheers
mike
John Waters
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by John Waters »

I would suggest DT Michal. Depending on weight distribution, a WF can be like a DT SH tied on the wrong way and will dump on release. Check out the PM sent on hauling earlier this year.

John
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

Mike,

My head is cut from a few DT's welded together on 15lb Amnesia. 27g at 52'. Leader setup is also quite improtant with these things IMO. I've done just under 44m with this is in failry flat conditions. Joakims advice is good and is basically what I have worked on to get it to go that distance.

I was trying to cast these things with a airly short stroke and failing miserably for some reason I had it in my head that shooting heads needed a different stroke / style to a full line. I was wrong!!
Maybe a slightly shorter stroke than I would use with my #5 or #7 full line set up but not by much. Get your speed from the haul and don't hit it.

Cheers

Ben
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

Thanks Ben.
I will have chance to cast my 60' heads, tommorow (at the moment only one I have) So I will see how it goes.
I agree with you on a casting stroke adjustmenst.
What weight DT gave you 27g at 52'?
Cheers
mike
Ben_D
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ben_D »

I think it is a #9 mainly but I have a bit of #8 & #10 welded into it to give some sort of different taper to it. I think a straight #9 should give you have you want at about that length.

Cheers

Ben
James9118
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by James9118 »

So if you're cutting a DT is it best to have the one remaining taper at the front or the back?
Michal Duzynski
IB3 Member Level 1

O good one,I was about to ask the same.
Half of the good news is that, i found some old line (quite thick), but have no idea what line is it,and where is the begining(it was lose in the drawer).
most important is,that it was thick enough to give me 27g at 54'. Can not wait to cast it tommorow,and in my case it will be level line without any taper.
Any ideas how it my effect turnover?
Talk to u tommorow
cheers
mike
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

Anyone use a double taper sh?

Get those razor blades and heat shrink out :D :D

I think I shall have more of a play with sh's over Christmas ...

Cheers
Trev