PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Moving to Oz - importing fly tying stuff?

Nile Special
IB3 Member Level 1

Moving to Oz - importing fly tying stuff?

Post by Nile Special »

Hi all, I'm moving to Australia from the UK at the end of this month. Of course I've not really done anything yet and am leaving it all to the last minute.

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding importing flytying stuff? I know they're quite hot on this..

I read that so long as you declare it you are generally ok with commercially prepared stuff and that it won't need to be quarantined/gamma irradiated etc. Does anyone know if that's correct?
Jeroen
BBBB No5

Post by Jeroen »

I asked the quarantine and inspection service and explained them that the materials I planned on taking was profesionally processed (bucktails, capes, rabbit strips among other stuff). The answer I got was that it was probably ok, as long as I mentioned it on the immigration form.
The mention on the form functioned as a conversation starter at the Perth customs. The guy checking my bag was a fly fisher. He let me go through about a couple of tips conserning fishing Freemantle's harbour wall.
A good starting point is an e-mail to Aqis. I brought their reply to be on the safe side.

Cheers,
Jeroen
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Feathers they don't like. If it's an extensive collection would get it all fumigated beforehand, sealed and officially certified. I don't know if Australia offers this service on arrival. They used to do this in NZ for a fee.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Zoran
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Zoran »

this World becomes like a prison ...
you cannot move from one to another prison cell just like that.... :p :D

Anyway , good luck , from all the cells, NZ looks like the best for fly fisherman :D
Nile Special
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nile Special »

Nice one guys, appreciated. I'll email the quarantine guys and run with what they advise. Having left it so late the thought of trying to locate a fumigation service is not great!
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm pretty sure that when Guy travelled out to NZ he had a vet fumigate and certify his materials. But he told me this 20 years ago and besides I may have dreamt it. Whatever you do, never trust my memory. Yesterday I found 50,000Ft in a DVD case, stashed behind the shower. I'm pretty sure I put it there, but fuck knows when. This is not the first time this has happened either. Memory of a goldfish.

Flycasting Definitions
TrevH
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by TrevH »

Over a hundred quid?! Awesome :yeahhh:
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah tell me about it. I found 80,000Ft last year in a flybox. :glare:

Flycasting Definitions