PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Bonefish

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Bonefish

Post by Paul Arden »

What can you guys tell me about bonefish and any other species I may meet in Zanzibar? What size tippets do you use? What do you look for? That sort of stuff!

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Al Greig
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Al Greig »

I have caught nine bonefish, Paul, so I feel qualified to be helpful :p

To catch them I used a twelve foot tapered leader, down to nine pounds b.s.

I used a six weight Kilwell :D

And a Vosseler DC whatsit, with an ordinary (not tropical) WF floating line. In the Bahamas in December, it was perfectly useable.

I had tied loads of flies before I went, but most of them fell to a lightly weighted white fly with a coral pink head, given to me by a Canuck who took pity on me after seeing my fly box.

I was broken a few times, and missed a good few until I learned to strip strike.

The first bonefish I saw were tailing in water about a foot deep, just feet from the shore. I crept up, used the water for a tension cast delivery. The fly arced gracefully through the air, from about sixty feet away.

The bonefish, all of them, left, or as Thomas McGuane would say "exploded in the direction of Mexico" just as the fly touched down. This happened a lot.

When I finally did get hold of one, it was as much fun as people say it is. None of them were over three pounds or so, and probably didn't get any further away than about seventy five yards, but they get there hilariously quickly.

Maybe you'd be better waiting for somebody who knows what they are talking about :laugh:

Merry Christmas!
Fook, wot spawt!
Haggisboy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Haggisboy »

Paul, Ihave about as much bonefish time as Al. The first I had was the most memorable. I was fishing outside the lodge about waist deep on the first day. I had about 9ft of 12lb mono and a yellow clouser with red eyes on. I had caught a few small barracuda so was feeling psyched. I cast out then realised I needed a piss. after releiving myself, I started to retrieve and something struck. Next thing I knew I was at my backing and my expensive tropical line was heading for the reef. I cranked the drag and started getting line back. after about 10 mins I had my first bone about 3lb. I was convinced that the fish had swapped mid fight as the one I hooked felt waay bigger. it was an eye opener for sure. spent one day losing every fish due to straightened hooks. I guess there are a fews tips in there, I think..... Campbell
Nile Special
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nile Special »

Odds are that you may struggle to find bones in Zanzibar. A friend of mine just got back and he had a few types of trevalley and a barracuda. I'm pretty sure he was casting into reef breaks/surf. I have a feeling the inner reef areas will have been netted quite heavily. Best bet probably to wade to the outer reef at low tide or deeper mangrove areas and strip baitfish patterns and poppers. Likely to get decent bluefins/small GTs if you can cast off the reef so don't go too light, prob 30lb leader is good.
petevicar
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by petevicar »

Having had a quick look at Google Earth, I think that you should have a reasonable chance for some bones if as Nile says they haven't been fished out.

The flats around Chwaka bay could be interesting as could the beaches in the south of the island.
I would look for fish on the incoming tide, coming over the reef.
Use very light coloured flies that match the bottom.
Tippet only needs to be about 8-10lb.

Hungry bonefish will eat almost anything.
It is important to get the fly quickly down to the level of the fish. You will almost always need weighted flies even in very shallow water.

I quick guide to wading for bones is that water just above your ankles is ideal, over your knees is too deep.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks, I'm staying on the south west corner. There looks like some very interesting water and not many villages around. Great information about popping over the reef. Hopefully I can pick up some more tippet there. Bones are best on the incoming tide, right? What sort of trevally do they have?

Thanks again,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
foreignmuck
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by foreignmuck »

Although not been myself and have limited bonefish experience as Dave says I think you may struggle to find bones on Zanzibar. Unless its the best kept secret in the world of bonefishing if they were there in numbers by now someone would be selling the fishing and we would all have heard about it due to its accessibility. That said they must be there and could be relatively big too but I would go with the mindset of just going fishing for what ever comes along and fish heavy tippets so if you do find say bluefins you stand half a chance. Also if you do come across a bonefish and hook up and this is the first time you've fished for them you are more likely to pop the fish off on take off with light tippets. They go like hell for their size and its something you have to experience before getting a handle on it. I had read everything i could find on bonefish and expected the big fast runs but still got smoked on a 13lb tippet the first time i hooked one due to instinctively trying to tighten up too much on the hook up. Pete's probably caught thousands so leave the 8lb tippets to him! I don't think they will be leader shy anyway, probably more gill net or dynamite shy unfortunately. It would suck if you spent weeks tracking one down and lost it due to a break off. 15lb seagar would be good IMHO. And 20 plus if you suspect bluefins are around.
As pete said heavy flies. If you are tying flies I would also tie a bunch of flies with a mono keel with beads al la Avalon fly. Most patterns without this don't swim hook point up in reality I have found.
Hope you find fish and look forward to hearing about it!
Sport fishing with live kittens?
Too disgusting to be true?
You be the judge!
Marc LaMouche
BBBB No 2,5 Le NP

Post by Marc LaMouche »

Paul, i just googled http://www.google.fr/search?....omoDICw and read several links. it looks like you're going to have a blast !... :laugh:
Nile Special
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nile Special »

There's loads of types of trevally there, bluefins and gts prob most likely but could get goldens, greenspots, goldspots, bludger and blacktips a bit offshore etc etc.

The reason I worry about the overfishing is that most populated East African areas have heavy netting inside the reef. Outside the reef they can't net due to the coral hence more fish. If you could get a boat to take you to some shallow reef offshore you should get more fish dredging big clousers on sink lines or casting at birds with baitfish patterns. Likely to add bonito/kawakawa to the trevallies there.
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

Paul,
I would go for the trev's as. Nile says...not easy, but more chances than finding a bone. Just outside the reefs, where waves are breaking, and where the fishing is usually the most difficult... :)
Trevallies are beautiful, strong fighters.
Bring a ten weight, if you can. Or a nine, at least. The fishermen usually know where the fish are even if they aren't catch trevs with a net...be prepared for looks if you throw back the fish.
In my experience you should fish smaller flies, than you would think...chartreuse, olive-white clousers in the 4 - 1 range should work. Bring some bigger ones, tho.
It's an exploration. :cool:
Peter
"...fish like a demon with a mission"-Sudesh

...just one more last cast
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep I reckon it's going to be hard to find anything decent working the flats. Even here in a relatively remote corner there are netsmen working the flats. I'll fish the incoming tide today and see how that goes. If that doesn't work I'll fish the reef on low water. And if that doesn't work I'll charter a fucking expensive boat for half a day!

Flycasting Definitions
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

Go out with a local fisherman to drop you on one of the reefs...
Peter

Nile Special
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Nile Special »

How's it going in Zanzibar? Any fush?
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Didn't see anything on the flats and then realised if I went hard I would end up looking like a cooked lobster very quickly. So taking it easy and getting used to the sunshine again. It is very beautiful here and the people super friendly. I think to make the most of the fishing you need a boat, and that's out of my price bracket fishing solo - 500US/half day.

Malaysia Saturday. :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
skeg
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by skeg »

pussy.
:p
Peter