PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

kite flying casts - role of wind in accessing 5wt casts.

Ancient
IB3 Member Level 1

kite flying casts - role of wind in accessing 5wt casts.

Post by Ancient »

Guys: I normally cast an 8wt line and have a top of about 100 ft. Because of a neck problem I don't turn my neck or my shoulders, and I don't drift, therefore this is probably my limit with 8wt. In spite of this I've bought a 5 wt line and rod to see what this 5 wt distance casting is all about. My first impression is that it's like kite flying, a slight gust of wind and I lose or gain 10 ft of distance. My question is how do you cast and measure your casts with this uncertainty. Ancient
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ancient,

the best way is indoors. Failing this I only normally bother about measuring when it's still. If it's not still and I want to work on distance I'll cast into the breeze.

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
doubledoc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by doubledoc »

I try to cast where I know some distances to objects or markers.
Past he gum tree is 115 feet, Past the manhole is 75 etc. I also mark my line at significant distances but only valid if it completely straightens.

Gives one and impression of where they are.

DD
I need to fly fish to cleanse my soul.
Ancient
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Ancient »

Hi doubledoc:
Having convenient landmarks is a great idea provided you can see just how far the "fly" reached and where it landed. I find that the leader section often is caught by a last minute gust of wind and does not straighten properly. In addition to problems of judging one's own casts, I was wondering how one is to interpret reported distances, since I assume that many of the casts are made outdoors, and although the wind may have seemed still at the start of the cast, as golfers know bordering trees and buildings can cause swirling and variable winds on the way to the target.
Thanks for your reply,
ancient.
doubledoc
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by doubledoc »

Ancient,

My custom is to measure from a line on the ground to where the fly lands. That is how ISE & FFF does it.
My suburban course is paint spots on a straight rising sidewalk. Gray and white only so as not to disrupt the urban landscape. First mark is at 75 feet next to the manhole cover and is in the center, next mark at 85 feet also center of walk. Then at 90 feet another at the edge of the walk. 95'er center white, not gray. 100' edge white.

The rise is about 1 inch per 2 foot & only beyond 70 feet. It makes the sighting easier. One is supposed to stand no closer with the feet than the starting line on the ground. Paul needs to have this explained, according to his pod casts :p .

I suggest you use an 8 foot bonefish leader about 9lb breaking tippet strength. It is less subject to wind assuming you use the yarn that is 'pea sized' per Macauley Lord in The L.L. Bean Handbook of Fly Casting

Hope this is useful,

DD
I need to fly fish to cleanse my soul.