PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

COME ON GUYS - Charity Auction - Monks

Glenda
IB3 Member Level 1

COME ON GUYS - Charity Auction - Monks

Post by Glenda »

come on guys - please, someone up my bid for the Kelty Hip Bag!!!! :???:
Jon T
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Jon T »

Hi Glenda
I'm the only one to have bid on the box of flies :( :(

I agree with you, there seems to be a lack of bidding for some reason, lots of views put not many people getting there wallets out.
So, COME ON GUYS get bidding!!!!!!! :D
Every crossing is a journey...
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

Hey folks,

Comments appreciated here or by PM/email. Would a change in charities make a difference? If we openned it up to an FF related humanitarian cause (Casting for recovery?)? or an enviromental cause (Ocean as Wilderness?)?

Perhaps the person donating selects the charity for their item...
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

Hi Eric,

I for one would feel more comfortable with a cause where I felt our money could actually do some good. Casting for recovery sounds good to me.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

I feel its a worthy cause, but auctioning some fishing tackle on a fly fishing site, will have minimal impact against an autocratic military junta.

From small seeds grow big trees, but i think the scale of the problem will only be solved by the international community, through sanctions or dialogue.

I think casting recovery is a great charity. I'm sure there are other worthy causes too.

Its also getting close to christmas too, so the purse strings are getting stretched all over............
greville
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by greville »

Totally agree Ryan. Particularly about using a fly fishing site to raise funds for what is undoubtedly a worthy cause but is a limited medium in its effectiveness.

It is also probably completely peripheral to the main audience and their passionate interest.

A good number of thinking folk support all sorts of worthy causes without having to be spurred into action by an artificial although well meaning process which will actually deliver minor financial contribution.

In my experience at least there are many thinking folk in fly fishing.

I would guess also that a number enjoy fly fishing and associated web sites as an antidote to the sort of crap that goes on in the ‘(sur)real’ world that they are only too aware of.

If one is not careful this kind of well meaning forum starts to enter the world of political correctness. A lot of flyfishers will not respond to that.

Greville
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

greville wrote:If one is not careful this kind of well meaning forum starts to enter the world of political correctness.

Not while i'm here Greville. :D

Most fly fishers are capable of great altruism and lateral thinking. :cool:

I think with Burma, although the intentions are good, the propensity to change the regime, is severely limited.
greville
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by greville »

rrw35 wrote:I think with Burma, although the intentions are good, the propensity to change the regime, is severely limited.

I guess holds good for many oppressive regimes sadly.
Monsieur Bush tried an approach which might not have been totally effective...

Anyways - time to move on.

Cheers

Greville
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

Politics isn't my thing ( I tend towards anarchy) so thats what is probobly holding me back on this particular auction. Perhaps if we switch charities someone from that charity could write in and let us know about the work they are doing. We had quite a discussion about the landmines last year, we have had nothing about monks yet.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Whakamahi kid
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Whakamahi kid »

I thought it was just meant to be a bit of fun FFS.
If you want to bid, bid.
If not, don't.
IMO no one should have to contribute anything they don't want too, or feel bad about not bidding on contributions.
To borrow a phrase from Morsie "harden the fuck up"
:angry: :angry: :angry:
grunde
Master of The Kettle

Post by grunde »

Come on this is a human right issue, not a political thing. And if we look at the SA history supporting the anti apartaid movement over a long period did lead to success.

Cheers,
Grunde
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

We had quite a discussion about the landmines last year, we have had nothing about monks yet.

OK, let's discuss.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Eric
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Eric »

The prospect burma org focuses much of the donations on educating the citizens and refugees. By investing in the people, it’s bringing forth new leaders, teachers and people who can speak and gather support for their cause. It may be a slow process, but those who are closely associated feel it’s the best way forward, to give the people a voice.
In making a donation to Prospect Burma, you will be investing in the lives of gifted young people and their commitment to their country's free and democratic future.
• £15,000 - Support our English Language Training School for desperately poor Burmese refugees in Delhi for one year
• £5,000 - Support a teacher training project run by one of our former students on the Thai/Burma border
• £2,000 - Become an Institutional Partner
• £1,000 - Pays for one year's scholarship for a student at an Indian University
• £550 - Adopt-A-Scholarship for one student for a year

Even a small group of us can help where we can.

To those who’ve helped so far, thank you! I have something interesting I’ve yet to put up :)
...the fish know this and are evil... ~marc
Glenda
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Glenda »

I am all for the cause of the Monks. We will be supporting the condemnation of a dictatorial government. Hopefully the UN will take action.
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

From small seeds grow big trees, but i think the scale of the problem will only be solved by the international community, through sanctions or dialogue.

I'm feeling pretty International right now, don't you think investing in the future is better for the community than sanctions? It seems to me that sanctions hurt the poorest most.
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions