PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

import tax

Alan S
IB3 Member Level 1

import tax

Post by Alan S »

Hi all/
Im thinking of buying a sage rod from the States
does anyone know how much import tax I would have to pay over here in the uk.
thanks and a merry xmas to you all.
Alan
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

You have a pm Alan.
Bob G
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bob G »

This link should help:

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15840&highlight=import

If the carrier is UPS or Fedex you will almost certainly be asked for the tax even after the rod is delivered.
If USPS you may get away with not paying anything or Royal Mail will ask for the money before delivery.
Just my own experience.
Bob
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is" - Wordsworth (Penned on his day off)
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure"
keystone
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by keystone »

Hi,
All imports from outside the EU are subject to import tax.
You may get away with it depends on what the seller declares. The tax might be as little as £30.00. You could check with Customs and Excise.
UK vat is also payable at 17.5%
Dave.
askel
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by askel »

keystone wrote:The tax might be as little as £30.00. You could check with Customs and Excise.
UK vat is also payable at 17.5%
Sorry for little off-topic but I'm crying every time I return from post office with my package.

Import taxes and other duties are huge here. Normally, I pay 50-60% of price+shipping cost. Once it was more than $100 for two lines I bought from Cabela's for $9.99 each (it was something like Xmas sale). It sucks to live on small island where you are one of main sources of government's income. I started to cry again...
If you are able to chew gum and walk at the same time there is a good chance that you can cast a fly
keystone
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by keystone »

Hi,
I can understand your tears. I thought us Brits were the highest taxed in the world, but blimey mate it sounds like a nightmare.
Dave.
Alan S
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Alan S »

Thanks everone, I don't think I will bother, it sounds to much hassle, if I go to newyork next year sometime, perhaps I can fetch one back in my case.
Alan
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Alan, you get charged the tax in the UK when you buy in the UK, and you often get charged the tax in the UK when you buy from the US. The saving you are making in the case of most US tackle is distributor charges and/or lower retail margins. The Internet has simply made buying easier.

The potential pitfall is that if you need to make a warranty claim then you're dealing with Transatlantic shipping, which will cost you a few quid - but you'll still saving money on high end purchases.

To give you our situation: we're opening with a UK/Europe retail partner soon, but we don't plan on selling high end US gear simply because it doesn't make sense in my opinion - at least not for Internet sales.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

What some retailers are doing is only declaring the wholesale cost to the European addresses the product is being shipped. So the tax is based on that, rather than the retail price. With the dollar devalued as it is a lot of gear you can't afford in your country is rather cheap to buy from here now. Paul's Retail partner ships to Europe daily. Rich
victor
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by victor »

If we buy goods from the States is their internal purchase tax deducted on goods shipped abroard?.

Mike
it's casting Jim, but not as we know it, according to EFFA

http://michaelheritage.wordpress.com/
Will
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Will »

askel wrote:It sucks to live on small island where you are one of main sources of government's income. I started to cry again...
Umm... So where else would a govt. get its income from, the fairies at the bottom of the garden? :???:

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

victor wrote:If we buy goods from the States is their internal purchase tax deducted on goods shipped abroard?.

Mike
Our tax scheme is a bit different with each state charging sales tax. There is no Federal sales tax. When buying by internet, Mike most retailers are not required to charge sales tax as the product is not being used in that State. 6% for Michigan. THere is however a Federal Excise tax charged on Hunting and Fishing gear. The manufacturers pay it. It goes to Federal programs for Hunting and Fishing. Rich
rrw35
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by rrw35 »

askel wrote:Import taxes and other duties are huge here. Normally, I pay 50-60% of price+shipping cost. Once it was more than $100 for two lines I bought from Cabela's for $9.99 each (it was something like Xmas sale). It sucks to live on small island where you are one of main sources of government's income. I started to cry again...

You are shopping in the wrong places, if you are paying import tax. :;):

Anyway, how do you think the government are going to keep illegal immigrants in benefits and pay for foreign wars, if you aren't stumping up the tax? :p
Lewy
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Lewy »

If you recieve a rod that has been repaired, you don't pay import tax :;): - as long as it is marked on the customs notice that it has been repaired and that it is a direct replacement.
Love Life - Love a Loomis.
later, Peter
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by later, Peter »

I have no history with this but...
Perhaps if you had a private party ship you the goods (in lieu of the store/business) would this not be subjected to your tax?
I used to order flies from GB to the USA & had to pay no VAT or import tax because it went to my home address... my friend, who imported them as a business had to pay these taxes.
Just a thougt... & a private party could declare that $600 USD Sage rod a used/pre-owned Sage rod worth, umm say, $200 USD????
Later,
Peter
Not trying to establish anything illegal here, by any means.
"life's a joy when I let it be..."