PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Competitions - - Any in the Mid-West?

maxlinespeed
IB3 Member Level 1

Competitions - - Any in the Mid-West?

Post by maxlinespeed »

Jay,

I'm not aware of any competitions in the Mid-West. ISE should move one of their programs to St. Louis (gateway to the West). It may be easier to qualify here - :D

Do you know of anything else around here - maybe Lexington?

Jim
what it is
Jay Clark
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Jay Clark »

There are clubs in Lexington, Toledo, Chicago, Cincinnati, and St Louis.

The first 4 have a few tournaments every year. Not sure about St. Louis. I'll see if I can find the schedules for you.
Rich Knoles
flybitch 2008

Post by Rich Knoles »

Hey Jay, I can't find websites for some of these clubs. The Toledo club specifically. Rich
maxlinespeed
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by maxlinespeed »

The "Ozark Fly Fishers" is the only organized club I'm aware of in St. Louis. There is also a group called the "Fish Heads" and another smaller group called the "Dead Drifter Society", but those guys wear thongs and not much else :???: .

Neither of these groups sponsor or participate in fly casting competition at a professional level.

I'm not seeing anything in Chicago, but if Lexington and Cinci have ACA sponsored events, I would think Chicago would.
what it is
maxlinespeed
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by maxlinespeed »

Chicago Angling and Casting Club established in 1892. Probably one of the oldest in the country - looks like a good place to get started in the "Casting Sport".

I don't see an '08 schedule posted yet.
what it is
Jay Clark
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Jay Clark »

I think it's called the St Louis Fly and Bait Casting Club. The ACA isn't a fly casting only organzation. The west coast clubs tend to be a little more fly casting oriented whereas the midwest clubs tend to be more oriented towrads conventional gear. I enjoy both equally well and the crossover has really improved my fly casting.

Here is a link to member clubs - http://www.americancastingassoc.org/assoc_membership/member_clubs.html

Rich - Here is the email address for Frank Gralak at the Toledo Club - fgskish@toast.net There used to be a very strong club in Columbus but I don't think it's still going. I think the casters in that area now belong to Toledo.
maxlinespeed
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by maxlinespeed »

Jay,

You have me on this one. Thanks for the link, but I haven't found anything on the St. Louis Fly and Bait Casting Club. I'll sniff around here some and try to come up with a contact.

Jim
what it is