PLEASE NOTE: This is the Archived Sexyloops Board from years 2004-2013.
Our active community is here: https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/

Question for the missing moderators - understanding analyzer arc

Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Question for the missing moderators - understanding analyzer arc

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,
could you explain please how the analyzer measures both rod arc and power arc?
Thanks!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring flyrods.

Flycasting Definitions
Bruce Richards
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Bruce Richards »

Hi Paul, first, my apologies for being absent. My ISP had problems over the weekend and everything was running so slowly that is was painful to even open a website. Must have a chat with them, that's not the first time.....

Since we know speed and time of rotation it is easy to measure rod arc. I'm not sure what you mean by "power arc". Do you mean what we call "power" in a cast with creep or drift? If so, if the rotation is in the direction opposite the coming cast we know it is drift and measure the amount (angular) by time and speed, again. If itis creep, we have to make a somewhat subjective determination of what rotation is slow enough to constitute drift. Once we've decided it is drift, that amount (again angular) is decided by time and speed of rotation.

I hope that is clear, let me know if not.
Bruce
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

If itis creep, we have to make a somewhat subjective determination of what rotation is slow enough to constitute drift

Thanks Bruce. Is this a number that constitues as creep, for example 5 deg/s, or is it a percentage of the total power?

With regards to the end of the casting arc, does the analyzer pick the point the butt begins to slow, ie the peak of the graph?

and welcome!! :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
ncp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ncp »

Paul Arden wrote:Thanks Bruce. Is this a number that constitues as creep, for example 5 deg/s, or is it a percentage of the total power?

With regards to the end of the casting arc, does the analyzer pick the point the butt begins to slow, ie the peak of the graph?

and welcome!! :D

Cheers, Paul

Paul,

Apologies again for being so slow on the uptake... wasn't expecting such quick discussions....

To determined creep, we indeed look for a slow rotation speed (and probably about 5 deg/sec but I can't remember off the top of my head) and not as a percentage of peak speed.

To decide when the casting arc end, we simply look for when the rotation speed next goes to zero (that's a pretty solid indication of when the arc ends!).

Best,
Noel
Noel Perkins
WetWading
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by WetWading »

Hi Noel,

Great to have your input here, whenever it is. It appears that the casts being analyzed on this thread aren't showing the arc on the analyzer from zero to zero rotation speed, since rotation speed doesn't equal zero until much later.

Cheers,

Chase
"You cannot step into the same river twice. In the flow of time, an opportunity lost is lost forever."
-Heraclitus

BetterLoops.com
Zoran
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Zoran »

Welcome and good luck to the new Moderators!
It is great to have you on Sexyloops Board .
(in one moment I thought you are really "missing moderators" :oh: :D )
Cheers,
Zoran
Paul Arden
Fly God 2010

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Noel, and welcome :D

As Chase points out the arc Buddha was casting here would have been close to 180, zero to zero, but the analyzer says 128, which looks close to the power peak. All the casts have been showing a similar thing.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by Magnus »

Noel

This is from one of Paul's casts (you're right he can't throw less that 90ft :???: )

Can you give me an idea of where the arc ends. I've marked what I think the arc is - red lines. From the second red line to the green line is motion caused by counterflex - rod moving hand not hand moving rod - so I'm assuming thats not part of the arc?
(You can probably guess I like this one because the Ubercasters rod was wobbling all over the shop :D
Attachments
arcchart.jpg
arcchart.jpg (46.42 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
Casting Definitions

"X-rays will prove to be a hoax."
"Radio has no future."
"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible."
Lord Kelvin
ncp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ncp »

Hi Magnus,

The casting arc we'd compute from the example cast you give would be from the first red line to your green line. The first red line obviously indicates when the rod first starts rotating forward. The green line corresponds to the when the rod essentially stops rotating forward. It is true that from the second red line to the green line the casting arc continues to increase and it does so as you "give" with the cast to remove rod counterflex.

Today, I wrote up a nice summary of how we compute the casting arc, drift and creep and Bruce is now reviewing it prior to posting. I think it will really help.

Best,
Noel
Noel Perkins
ncp
IB3 Member Level 1

Post by ncp »

Since several questions have been asked about the casting arc, Bruce and I wanted to offer the attached file that defines the casting arc for three example casts: one without drift or creep (simplest case), one with drift, and one with creep. We hope that this clarifies what is being computed by the Casting Analyzer software in each instance.

Best,
Noel and Bruce
Attachments
CASTINGARC.pdf
(92.46 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Noel Perkins